Happy Canada day! I hope everyone is having a great Friday and will be getting up to something fun this long weekend! For as long as I can remember my mom always made a festive dessert for Canada day, usually a strawberry pound cake tarte with a Canadian flag made out of strawberries on the top, so this year I decided I wanted to try something a little different!
My boyfriend loves blackberry peach pie so I knew those are the flavours I wanted to go with… but that’s not red lol so I knew I had to add strawberries to make it festive. I love this recipe because it highlights the delicious BC fruit we have here. This recipe is also ridiculously easy (mainly because I used a frozen Tenderflake pie crust) so I hope you take an hour out of your day to make it today and feel extra festive!
8 peach, peeled and sliced
2 cup blackberries (1 cup cut in half and 1 cup whole)
1 cup chopped strawberries
½ cup sugar
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp lemon zest
½ tsp cinnamon
1 ½ Tbsp unsalted butter
1 egg, mixed with 2 tbsp cold water, for brushing
2 Tbsp Turbinado sugar
1. Combine sugar, flour, lemon zest and cinnamon and mix until combined
2. Mix peaches and blackberries with 3/4 of the sugar mixture and mix until equally coated
3. Mix chopped strawberries with the remaining 1/4 of the sugar mixture and mix until equally coated
4. Add peach and blackberry mixture to pie crust in an even layer
5. Add strawberry mixture to the centre third of the pie (this will ensure the maple leaf has a bright red background)
Note: if your aren’t making this for Canada day you can mix the strawberries in with the peaches and blackberries!
6. Cut out your Canadian flag design and add it to the top of the pie
Note: you can either leave the sides of the flag whole and flat or tear up pieces of the crust and arrange them together to make a more rustic design!
7. Brush egg wash mixture to the top of the pie and sprinkle with Turbinado sugar
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 mins or until pie crust is golden brown
note: As I said I used Tenderflake frozen pie crusts for this which are quite small, so this amount of filling will get you two pies. If you’re making a deep dish pie this should be the perfect amount!
I hope you enjoyed this post and give this recipe a try! If you make it I would love to see your recreations so be sure to share them with me on Instagram and Twitter @carissaemma